Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Year



I was at a bridal shower when these shots were snapped, but I thought the girls welcomed the new year with a high level of "cute," reading in the windowsill and snuggling in the sunshine with Mike.



The girls started swimming lessons at Summers Swim Academy this semester. Right now, they're the only ones enrolled in their class. They meet for 30 minutes twice each week and are scheduled for the next 12 weeks. The girls love the water, don't mind getting their faces wet, and will "swim" with Dan and I holding onto them, but there are some skills that they won't perform well for us (floating, for example) that we're hopeful the instructor can draw out of them. We know that they won't be Michael Phelps at the end of the session, but we're hoping for some level of independent swimming.



It's the girls' first class where I'm on the sidelines... and our Little Gym class will have me watching through the window this semester as well. I'm loving watching them, but I'm getting some pretty serious pangs of "how did my babies grow up so fast?!" as they go.



The girls are playing more independently now, too, and for much longer stretches of time. When we first introduced them to play doh about 6 months ago, they wouldn't have much to do with it aside from asking me to make snakes....over and over. So we tabled that activity for a while. Aunt Marti got the girls a new set with tools for Christmas, so we tried again, and the difference is remarkable! They will sit at the table and play and chat with each other about what they're pretending, change colors, share tools, argue over tools, come to an agreement over tools... and give me a chance to do the dishes, make a meal, and clean up the kitchen. Again, I'm sidelined, and I'm not sure what to think of it!



The girls are still really good about waiting until 8 AM to come out of their room in the morning, but they're frequently playing in there together before they emerge, and they're occasionally waking up from their naps and playing before they come out. I heard them chattering in there one afternoon and opened the door to find them playing with and organizing the sea creatures that Uncle Greg sent them for Christmas.



As if to help me through this period of growing independence, the girls have been needing a LOT of snuggle time and wanting to be held pretty frequently. My back is not altogether happy about it, but my heart is comforted by the fact that they seem to be needing to offset growing up by clinging to me a little more.

No comments: