Saturday, June 6, 2009

Week in Review



We started last weekend with a trip to the zoo! We tried to get there early, to beat the crowds and the heat, but an accident and Houston traffic foiled our best efforts, and we had a pretty hot visit. The girls enjoyed running around at the Children's Museum (although we avoided the drugged goats this time). They're a little more interested in pigeons and babies than the animals IN most of the exhibits, but they were pretty excited about the iguanas and lizards in the reptile house.



On Sunday, we helped our friend Caleb celebrate his 9th birthday! Izzy kept longingly gazing at the "big kid pool," and Miss Rachel (Caleb's mom) graciously pulled out the kiddie pool for Isaiah, Nathaniel, and the girls to enjoy :)



Abby was pretty excited about Knuckles the dog, who sent her into gales of giggles when he "kissed" and nuzzled her.



The girls LOVE swings, and I kept telling them that these were big kid swings and that they were too little... then Dad came along and showed them how they worked, and WOW! My babies are big kids! I'm not ready to replace their toddler swings on our playset just yet, but it's fun to see them mastering new things.





I've been trying my hand at gardening this year, and planted bell peppers, jalapenos, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and cucumbers in patio boxes this year... WOW have we been surprised at how quickly things grow! It seems like overnight, seeds turned into ginormous plants, and flowers turned into vegetables! We haven't harvested anything yet, but we're on the cusp! Our citrus trees are all bearing fruit... it'll probably ripen later in the summer. And even our pear tree has fruit this year! The strawberries are my saddest thing... they're ever-bearing, and I watch them carefully, but every time a berry is JUST about ready, a bird comes and eats it. I'm working on some non-lethal solutions, although a bee bee gun (is that how you spell it?) sounds nice about now! But I know, I know, it's a sin to kill a mockingbird...



We cut our banana trees down almost to the ground this year to try to get rid of some of the old dead stuff, and they've come back beautifully! We haven't had any flowers yet, but the leaves look great. Izzy loves the way that they sound when the wind blows through them... that's the moment that I tried to capture in this picture.



The girls and I met Dan down in Galveston last night so that we could attend a "members only" event at Moody Gardens. We passed by Murdochs on the Seawall and were so excited to see it being rebuilt! It was completely destroyed in the hurricane (it sits out over the edge of the Gulf on a pier), and we're so glad that it's coming back!





It's fun to be at the aquarium late in the day, because there aren't very many other visitors and we're able to let the girls run and play at will. The girls really love fish, and make a little "fish sound" whenever they see them. (I'm teaching them dolphin sounds when they see pictures of dolphins at our house and trying to help them differentiate between fish and marine mammals. :) ) Izzy was pretty captivated by a Moray eel, who was out for a swim. He came over to the glass and sat there, opening his mouth and revealing his sharp little teeth. Izzy watched him for a while, and then opened her own mouth, baring her teeth. Hilarious.



The new exhibit at Moody is called Dinosaurs Alive! and it's a BIG hit with the girls. The dinosaurs move and roar, and the girls roared right back, clapping and making excited little exclamations. A perfect start to the weekend!

No comments: