Saturday, May 1, 2010

Reading, Swinging, and Not-Your-Catatonic-Goat-Type Petting Zoo!

Reading last Sunday before church...



Abby and Izzy have officially rejected the term "baby" as applied to themselves and insist that they are "kids." It is heartbreaking, and despite the frustration I cause them, I refuse to acquiesce.



But they are getting big... they're learning (just barely) to lean and pump when swinging, and to drag their feet and hop off when they're done. Thankfully, they still need help getting on.



In the mornings, the girls can eat their yogurt almost completely themselves. Izzy asked me the other day to help her get the last "couple bites" when she was done, so I told her that I LOVED to help her. Then today, she handed me a half-full yogurt and said, "Mommy loves to help." I got to feed her about a bite and a half before she told me, "I got it!"



The girls are getting better at cooperative play, which for us means bossy play. I'm not sure whether the last picture in this series is one of laughter or tears :) Both girls love to pretend... they change their babies' diapers and throw away the pretend diapers in the pretend garbage; Izzy was making a crazy racket in the car today and told me that she was pretending to cry; they pretend to nap a lot in the guest bedroom. Izzy make a LOT of jokes... they're pretty funny to us, but not really worth repeating yet :) Dan's working on getting her some better material.



Nate turned two today! Sybil and Ted had his birthday party at the Bayou Wildlife Park, which was amazing! Emus, Great Elands, and antelope all came right up to our car, sticking their heads in the windows, on our drive into the parking lot, delighting the girls at first, and then sort of freaking Izzy out. Once we got out of the car, Abby couldn't be stopped; Izzy was a little more timid, but was pretty excited throughout the train ride through the park in the comfort of her daddy's lap.




We got to see giraffes, a rhino, water buffalo, American buffalo, a beefalo, a zonkey, 2-humped camels, fallow deer... and many more! Awesome! But the highlight for Izzy was probably the pony rides. Dan and I got brave and let the girls ride alone (with the pony handler right next to the horses), and they were outstanding! They take their riding very seriously, and couldn't stop talking about it all day.




Dan took his (brutal, 6-hour-long) actuarial exam on Friday. We'll find out his results in July, and are, in the meantime, reveling in having Daddy back at home on the weekends! Hoping for good weather and a trip to the beach or pool tomorrow!

No comments: