I spent many summer days and nights at the Braidwood Recreation Club, which is a series of lakes created by surface mining of coal many, many years ago. The holes all filled in with water, and they are open for fishing, motor-less boating, and one beach for swimming. (When the girls saw the beach area, they said, "Why do they have a pretend beach here?" and then later in the week, "Can we go back to that little pretend beach and go swimming?" They are a little spoiled by the Gulf....) When I was little we canoed, camped, picnicked, and swam with my dad's extended family and loved pretty much every minute, and I wanted to give the girls a little taste of that.
We ran out to The Polka Dot for an old-school diner experience. Burgers were good, shakes delicious. Then we re-introduced the girls to Marilyn, The King, and Betty Boop for good measure :)
Finally we made it back to the Rec Club for some playground fun. This caterpillar was there when I was little and is in remarkably good shape for being that old! The girls loved it as much as I did when I was little.
And in milestone news, the girls each made their first solo trip across the monkey bars!
No comments:
Post a Comment