Friday, September 19, 2008

Storm Recovery



The news stations are still providing coverage of hurricane recovery 24-7 around here, with a break for primetime television between 7-10. The damage was pretty phenomenal, and the low death toll pretty amazing, considering. Much of Houston still has no power, and residents are still not allowed onto Galveston Island. They anticipate letting people back on in waves beginning next week... they have to get the water treatment plants back online first, because they're already operating beyond the sewage capacity, and the conditions are ripe for really bad and nasty outbreaks. Yuck.

We are thankful every day for the fact that we are all still intact and that our home didn't suffer any major damage. I worked on the yard this afternoon, picking up twigs, branches, and shingles from our neighbors' homes that had fallen into the yard. Izzyplayed in her playpen while I worked. (Abby was taking a nap.)



The girls are working through their first colds. They think sneezes are hilarious, but that the saline drops that I squirt into their nose are the pits. They're doing pretty well... they're a little crankier and have a much lower tolerance for waiting to eat, but all in all, we can't complain. They're sleeping later and taking longer naps, so it all balances out for Mom :)

They're noticing each other a lot more lately, and laughing at each other and stealing each other's toys. It's fun to watch, and it makes me jealous that I didn't have a twin :)



Izzy has been saying momomomom, which is awesome, although it's pretty clear that she doesn't know what it means yet. She's also been fake coughing, which is funny, but not something we're trying to encourage :) Both girls have been noticing Rica and Mike a lot more, and they laugh and laugh whenever they come close. That's where Izzy's attention is focused in the picture above :)

4 comments:

Rhoda said...

i should stop reading your blog. it sorta makes me wanna have a baby. plus the hahn twins in my life, and another friend with a tiny 4 month old girl. you're the first for me to announce that to because i can't say that to too many people or they'll get the wrong idea and we'll have stories on our hands to deal with!

but i don't wanna have a baby yet. i'm so not ready! i gotta enjoy steve, i suppose... :)

Sybil said...

Oh man, I hope Nathaniel did not get them sick :( No fun.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I agree with Rhoda. I am not ready to have kids but Matt is. But I enjoy reading your blog so much.

I have a blog now! The address is
lovescows.blogspot.com. Send me an email at hlassuy08@yahoo.com and I will send you an invite.

The girls are so cute. I hope to see them before they get to much older.