Sunday, December 14, 2008

This is more like it!



It's back in the 70's, thank goodness! Dan is working on a big project at work this weekend, so the girls and I have been missing him. It's his last step to becoming an Associate in the Society of Actuaries, which is a big deal. We're so proud of him!





The girls were getting into everything inside today, so we went outside for a change of scenery. It was a little windy, but, like I said, in the 70's, which was pretty fun. The wind makes Izzy giggle. The girls are crawling everywhere, and the pavers scratched their legs a little when they crawled off of the foam mats, so I let them try out the grass.





For those of you from the north, down here we have St. Augustine grass, which is a LOT coarser than Kentucky bluegrass... when I used to visit my relatives here when I was little, I thought that they just let their crabgrass run rampant in their yards, but it's actually cultivated for this climate. It's pretty amazing... it can withstand the scorching, hot, hot sun, and also the wet, wet, wet Houston climate. It propogates with runners, and pretty much chokes out all weeds, which means that we don't have to use much in the way of weed killer. It goes more or less dormant in the winter, so we don't have to mow between about November and March, which is nice. Anyway, for all of it's amazing qualities, it's not necessarily soft and fine to the touch... it's pretty thatchy, so it's cushiony, but again, think crabgrass in terms of texture.



So, that's your coastal horticulture lesson for the day... all that to say that Izzy found it just weird, and Abby wasn't quite sure what to do with it... :)



Back inside, the girls continued their "get into everything" streak. It's hard to know where to draw the line... I want them to be inquisitive and to allow them to investigate things in their world... and most of the stuff that they want to get into is more or less safe with close supervision, but I don't want to encourage them to do anything that is going to be unsafe at any point in the future. Hard calls.



We've decided that the cat door is one of the things we'll let them play with under a watchful eye... hopefully we won't find one of them halfway in and halfway out of the garage anytime soon :) They think it's pretty fascinating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tessa is a little concerned with the lack of shoes,socks and coats... I tried explaining that it really is warm where you live, but she's not having it!