Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bluebonnets!



In addition to being photographed at the San Jacinto monument, it is also an unwritten law that all children in Texas must have a photo shoot with the bluebonnets (our State Flower) each spring. The BAMOMs posted on our message board about a perfect location, so we headed there this afternoon with Sybil and Nathaniel. The girls were a little less than enthusiastic about the event (I'll spare you the video of both of them expressing their discontent), but we did get some cute pics!








The girls are getting more and more athletic with each passing day. I have been working with them on ball-handling skills. Once we get the basics, Dan will take over with the finessing, unless (until?) it becomes apparent that they've inherited their Mom's athletic (dis)abilities :)



Walking is becoming more and more the primary mode of transportation, which is exciting. We still have a lot of trips, falls, and near misses, but the girls seem to recover pretty well, and stand back up on their own without much fuss.

"Outside" is still our favorite place to be on any given day. I'm a little dismayed to see rain in the forecast for the coming week, but happily, in Houston it seems to always give us at least a little bit of sunshine... we shall see. The play structure is giving the girls lots of lofty dreams about climbing, and giving me minor panic attacks when I realize how quickly the girls can climb, and how high!



The girls are getting better about not trying to eat every fallen leaf or blade of grass that they come across, which is nice. They're definitely testing their limits, as evidenced by Abby ON the table. It's hard for me to determine which battles are worth fighting, because they have to be fought again and again and again... I decided that the picnic table isn't THAT far off of the ground, and I'm always right there. Interestingly, both Abby and Izzy are REALLY good at "back it up," which is how I taught them to get down off of the bed, couches, and other high-ish places. We were sitting out on the patio and watched Abby walk to the edge, which is maybe 2 inches higher than the grass, plop down, and "back it up" into the yard. It was a Proud Mommy moment :).


We've been experimenting with going down to one long nap mid-afternoon, but I think tonight's (regrettable) behavior has convinced me that we're not quite ready for that step. We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't get much better than babies and bluebonnets.
GPa

Jeane said...

Aawwww... the pictures of the girls sitting among the flowers are so adorable!!!!! So cute!