Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ugh! This is hard work!

I've tried to be really conscientious about being positive on the blog about this pregnancy, but I thought I'd be perfectly honest today and say, "This is hard!"

I have been having spells of feeling REALLY lightheaded, where my skin gets kind of hot, my brain starts to stupify itself, and my heart beats super fast. I called in, and the dr. said to eat frequent, high-protein snacks and to let her know if it doesn't get better in a few days. Also, I found out that I do NOT have gestational diabetes, but I am slightly anemic, so I have to take an iron supplement. I just got it today, but it's supposed to wreak havoc on my GI system, so I'm not really looking forward to it. The anemia could explain the passy-outy feeling, so hopefully that'll pass shortly!

My back hurts almost all of the time, my knees hurt whenever I stand up from sitting, and my hands and feet are swollen. Dan calls me his little Hobbit :)

But all those things considered, I am still having fun. When I lay down to try to feel better when I'm feeling faint, the babies almost always start wiggling, and they're strong enough now that I can actually watch them move my belly. It's hilarious. And I know that in two and a half months, we'll have these amazing little girls and that all the back pain in the world will fade from my memory and be replaced by a warm and cozy big love for my daughters.

But just for the record, this is not easy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think there is one Mom out there that didn't complain at least a little during pregnancy. The truth...it IS hard, really hard. That's why men don't do it:) And you've been very patient. Don't feel bad about complaining, you would be weird if you didn't vent a little. That said, don't ever hesitate to talk to the doctor if those symptoms scare you. Yeah, carrying a baby (not to mention two) comes with it's difficulties, but some things you need to keep an eye on, and it's never bad to double check with the doc. Other than that, don't watch alien and you'll be great until you can cuddle with the little munchkins. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

Nicci,

Hang in there. It will all be worth it! And the amnesia that follows is great! Sometimes you forget about the discomfort and misery and decide to get pregnant again!

Actually, at this stage of the game, I have decided that these early discomforts are preparation. You will need this endurance and tolerance to get through everything these beautiful, wonderful girls will put you through once they start to become autonomous. Just ask your parents! Or any parents with kids that are a bit older.

And - brace yourself - it will get worse before it gets better. You will begin to wonder how you can possibly get any bigger or more swollen. And you will actually start to believe that you CAN'T physically get any bigger. But, in the end, it is all so worth it. The first time they look at you and really see you - and smile - it's worth it. Not so much when they are up with colic, but most other times it is worth it!

You are also being trained for patience, of which you will need to have a great supply!

The days will seem to both take forever and then take no time at all. Please try to remember to savor what you can. The rest you will forgot!

We can't wait to see and hear - but actually we can. Keep incubating!

Deb

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing no one can really explain the things you'll feel when you're pregnant or we'd probably have a very small population. You're right, this is very hard! But the joy is also very great when they finally get here. But it is so important to listen to your body and check things out if you're not feeling right. Those babies are very important to all of us, but so are you. You probably need to double the pampering since your load is doubled so don't be afraid to say this isn't all roses. My love to all four of you. Nana O