Sunday, January 25, 2009
And so it begins...
Dan and I are so proud of this latest accomplishment. The girls seem to be keeping pace with each other, and they certainly are watching each other (and the attention that the other gets from Mom and Dad) with eagle eyes. As the video shows, Izzy takes everything a little less seriously than Abby does :)
Izzy is saying Mama very clearly now. Abby calls me Baba. When Abby says "Baba," Izzy says MMMMammmma. Hilarious. Both girls have been saying Dada since they were born. Go figure.
We're feeding the girls finger foods and (small pieces of) our meals (as appropriate). Baby food was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad to be in this new phase! We're wondering when we can expect the girls to use spoons effectively. Right now, they're effective tools for making bigger messes, but they aren't really doing much for the whole "get the food to the mouth" thing. Plates, too, seem to be more trouble than they're worth, and we typically just put food directly on the (clean) tray.
For those of you with experience with children, what do you remember about the age at which you introduced utensils? When did they begin to be effective? And, perhaps most importantly, when were you able to give them cereal with milk? :)
7 comments:
I'm with Izzy. Walking is a hoot. I can't wait to get down there, they change by the day.
Gpa
I don't know if I can say Landon is eating "effectively" now with utensils :) We started at around 14 months or so and if I remember they should be using them pretty well by 18 months. The girls have a little while to go :) But it's always good to practice until the messes get too big!
Awww... how cute!!!
We started giving Olivia cereal with milk about two month ago (when she was 13 month). She also started "using" utensils at about 14 month. She just figured out how to get the food actually on her spoon instead of just pushing it around in her bowl with it and she also finally puts it in her mouth instead of playing with it ;-)
Hey, just saw you have a blog for the girls - what fun. We started giving Maggie spoons around a year, and she made a HUGE mess. It helped to give spoons only for certain, somewhat sticky items, like oatmeal or rice cereal - applesauce, too, if it was chunky. I'd say she had a good grasp of the spoon by 18 months - which means she got more in her mouth than on her face or the floor! Now, at 22 months, she's a pro with both spoon and fork.
I'm so proud! as an aside I couldn't help myself and I just analyzed their gait pattern...poor girls have to have such a nerdy aunt
So Auntie Catherine, are their gaits all right?
So crazy! They're growing way too fast. I will be sending bricks; please to be putting them on their heads. Thanks.
Hi Nicci!
Joshua started using utensils around a year, but it was just for fun and not very productive. I have always preferred the fork and he has gotten very good at it just recently (he is 19 months). We are still working on cereal with milk - most of it still ends up in his bib so it's a process! Probably won't happen smoothly until after 2 years of age I'm guessing! Girls look great!
Post a Comment