Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Every day, it's something new!



Izzy reached a new milestone today... she learned to drink from a straw!! The girls both constantly try to drink from the big straw cup that I got from the hospital when I delivered them. I indulge them, but usually get annoyed because they seem more likely to jab the straw into the back of their mouths than they are to get any water, BUT, today, Izzy got a mouthful and found it hilarious! I hustled to get her baby straw cup, and it was quite a success. She tried to show Abby how to do it, and then started showing off (no hands!). Abby is still working on it, but she does like to sprinkle water on the floor and play with it. Ahh, messes.



The girls got a new little table (thanks Maya and all!) and have been having a fun time with it. They are getting much more interested in figuring out how things work. Puzzles are still a little bit of a challenge, but Abby especially is pretty good with her ring-stacking toy, and the shape sorter. I can hardly keep up with all the "new" that these girls are doing every day!



Reading is still a big favorite. The girls do enjoy being read to, but they're exerting a bit of their independence about when the pages are to be turned, and whether the book should be upside down, or right side up. Dad and I prevail about 50% of the time :)



The walking is staying at about the same level... the girls are stuck in a shuffle-shuffle-lunge pattern. We get a few glimpses of breakthroughs now and then, but we're content to stay here for a little while... at least I can hold off on the plans to buy a bungee cord to keep them connected for a bit :)

In family news, our water heater died on Monday. I heard a dreadful ruckus coming from the attic, and a few minutes later noticed some water dripping through the pull-down door that leads up there. Argh. I grabbed some towels, expecting a REALLY BIG MESS, but happily, the overflow pan had just started to go over, and I managed to get the inflow valved turned off right away. That solved the "prevent further damage" part of the problem, but alas, we STILL HAVE NO HOT WATER. I went to the YMCA this afternoon to work out just so that I could wash my hair. Apparently, we have an odd-sized water heater, so replacing it has been a bit of a hassle. Hopefully when the installers come tomorrow, they won't run into any more problems.

1 comment:

Sybil said...

You know, we live just down the road, you are welcome to bring your WALKING children over and take a shower every now and then :)