Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Pediatrician's Visit

Our first pediatrician's visit was on Monday. We chose a doctor after several interviews while I was still pregnant, and I'm really happy with our decision. Her office is less than 15 minutes away, and she's affiliated with UTMB. She's relatively young, around our age, which I like, and the other pediatricians in her practice are more "seasoned," which makes me comfortable that the girls will be in good hands.

Dan and I got the girls all bundled up (there was a chilly rainstorm that day) and in the car, and then over to the office for our 1:00 appointment. Imagine my chagrin when, while waiting in the waiting room, I realized that I had completely forgotten ALL of the papers from the hospital, AND a diaper bag. Are you kidding me?!? Our first trip out of the house and I forget the DIAPER bag?!? Oh well. Must be those crazy hormones...

Dr. Espana gave the girls a mostly clean bill of health. She was a little concerned about their bilirubin levels, which can lead to jaundice if they get too high. Abby's levels were a little high when we left the hospital, and the St. John's pediatrician made us promise to see Dr. Espana on Monday because of that. We got the results back on Tuesday, and while the levels are indeed a little bit high for both girls, they're in the "normal for newborns" range. She had us put the girls in a sunny spot for a few hours a day, and we're supposed to call right away if the white part of their eyes gets at all yellow. The girls LOVE their sunbathing :)




We go back on Friday for another checkup. I'm still not allowed to drive... not until my follow up at 4 weeks... but Dan is taking the next two days off, so he'll accompany us again. Which is great, because things get a little chaotic in the exam room, especially when they have to take blood!

Oh, that's ANOTHER hilarious story of my silliness... the nurse was fixing to take Abby's blood and told me to hold her like I was burping her. Unfortunately, I heard "birthing," so I held her head down on my lap. Then she said, "No, up on your shoulder," so I brought her feet up to my head, still face up. She finally positioned her right, and a few minutes later I had the eureka moment of ," OOOH , she said BURPING," but by then, Abby was screaming because of the heel stick, and I was almost laughing out loud, which was inappropriate given the discomfort of my baby! So now the nurse things I am a total moron... alas. Hopefully on Friday, I'll have my act together and can prove myself a competent mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 days =) im sooooo excited to see them!

Anonymous said...

A quiz for Casey...

Jessie is:
A) Jealous Casey gets to hold the babies in ten days.
B) Wishing I could be there so I could see Casey also.
OR
C)both

And the answer is...C.