Friday, March 7, 2008

The second week of life begins...

Abby and Izzy had a fabulous first week of life, and things are just looking better and better!

We asked the girls what they wanted to do for their 1-week birthday,



and they told us that they wanted to go shopping and show off their cute duds. Abby's in purple and Izzy is in pink.



Mom needed some nursing essentials, and isn't allowed to drive until her 4-week check up, and since it was a weekday afternoon, we decided to try it!

***CLARIFICATION: Casey (my sister) just called to yell at me because the way that she read this, she thought that I blatantly disregarded my doctor's orders and drove to the mall, just because it was a weekday. What I meant was that we decided that it would be OK to bring the girls out into the world b/c it was a weekday afternoon and mall traffic would be lighter. DAN drove!



The girls were, of course, perfect, and we got lots of celebrity-status stares as we walked through the mall :)

Chicki-gram and GPa-S (yes, this is what my parents have decided they'd like to be called) got us some letters for the girls' names in the nursery and Dan put them up yesterday; they look fantastic! Here is Abby, napping in Izzy's crib :)



We had our follow-up pediatrician's visit today. Everything looks great as far as the bilirubin levels go. Izzy gained 6 ounces, which is great, but Abby hasn't gained at all, so the doctor asked us to supplement her nursing with a couple of bottles a day. I'll still nurse, but then Dad or our helpful visitors will get to give her a little bottle afterwards, which is going to be really fun for them! (And hopefully helpful for Abby, of course!) We go back in on Monday to see if the supplement is helping and also for their follow-up metabolic screening tests (more heel sticks).

I'm finally starting to feel more myself. The swelling in my face has receded somewhat. I still can't wear my wedding ring or "real" shoes (thank goodness for flip flops and Texas weather!), but I think that things are moving in the right direction! Here I am with my beautiful girls before our checkup today.



And here I am after the check up....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have your face back! It's nice to see your old smile, and carrying the babies in your ARMS not your cheeks. :) (Oh, you know I'm just giving you a hard time. You looked great pregnant.)
Do they have to keep getting bigger and older before I meet them? I hate the wait!

Anonymous said...

hello everyone just as a quick reassurance, i checked with nicci and she did not blatently disobey the doctors orders and drive "because it was a weekday afternoon" dan was home and took her shopping =)

Anonymous said...

Abby told me she is not eating so Gpa will get to feed her. Chicky gave her the idea.
Gpa-S

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous because Gpa gets to give Abby her snacks! I told him how to sneak and get Izzy a midnight snack too! Those girls LOVE yummies!
Chickigram