Two things happened today that prompted this post... the first is a happy one... I got my wedding ring back on today!!! It's a snug fit, but I don't take it off often, so it's OK as long as I don't swell back up :) Woo hoo!
The second is sad. Our BAMOMs group (Bay Area Mothers of Multiples) has an online message board where we can post questions about what worked for other moms, sell things our kids have outgrown, set up playgroups, and just provide general MOM support. A new twin mom who had her babies last week posted the other day with a tone of desperation... she'd had an emergency C-section and was struggling with her recovery; her family is all out of town, and her husband had to go back to work and she was just generally desperate for some help and advice. The BAMOMs happily have set up a calendar to help her, but today she posted that her husband told her this weekend that he thought they should see a counselor because he wasn't sure they were meant to be together. Let me say again, she had twins LAST WEEK!!! Now, it's my guess that the husband is also overwhelmed by the twin-ness that has hit their household, but wow. Not great timing.
So I just wanted to write a post lauding my husband for being everything that he is. I've been to a few functions in the past 6 weeks (most recently for Sybil's shower... I can't WAIT for Nathaniel to be born!!!), and everyone is always really impressed that Dan is able to take care of the girls while I'm out. He and I are both giggle a little about this, but the truth is, he IS a GREAT Dad and he just loves his girls. He's been so supportive of me; he called to check on me today to make sure that everything was going well, and he always makes me laugh when I start to take things too seriously. When things get crazy at night, he helps out, even though he has to work in the morning. He has been awesome about the nursery, from painting, hanging the border, putting furniture together, and hanging things on the wall. He's all-around wonderful.


We just got these butterfly shelves (which Dan hung on the wall) from Lilian Vernon the other day. So cute!
When I was single, I had a lot of ideas about what a husband should be and do, and I just had no idea; I'm so glad that God made me wait until Dan and I were ready to meet each other... I HATED waiting, but I am so, so blessed to have him, and the girls... our family!
So hurray for Dan and great dads everywhere!! :)
In other twin news...we weighed the girls yesterday and they are both 9.0 lbs. Wow. When we visited with Devin the other day, who was born at 6 lbs 2 oz., we realized just how HUGE our girls are getting! I have to keep reminding myself that "enjoying the moment" doesn't just mean not wishing that the girls were walking/talking or reaching other future milestones, but it also means not mourning for stages past, but WOW!!! I miss them being so tiny already! They've officially outgrown their preemie clothes, and we just graduated from newborn to size 1 diapers. Crazy.

Here are the girls in their "name hats."
Today went really smoothly. Dan should be home in about an hour and a half, and I haven't pulled all of my hair out. The girls have been very hungry today, eating about every 2 hours instead of 3, which means I have less time to do much (except blogging and checking my email, obviously :) ), but we did squeeze in a 40 minute walk, which put us all in good spirits. I also managed to get a shower, which was great! Hopefully this bodes well for the future! I know that there will be rougher days, but I think things are going to be wonderful overall.

2 comments:
Wow, your husband sounds great!! I can't believe I get to be the first one to post on this message, but he really sounds perfect. You're so-o-o lucky!
Nicci and Dan,
I am glad that the two of you found each other. Worth the wait!
Dan, I am horribly impressed that you are willing to stay home with not one - but two!!!- newborns. You are awesome!
Good job to both of you!
Deb
(with no misspelled words this time)
Post a Comment